Saturday, January 17, 2009

So, what is Scrumbling, anyway??

scrumble (plural scrumbles)
A small piece of freeform crochet or knitting that can be joined to make a larger piece of freeform work.
definition from Wiktionary


pic found @ woolandtea.com
Scrumbling is the name of the small motifs that often make up a freeform project. The term was coined by freeform movement founders Sylvia Cosh and James Walters in the 1970's. These small motifs are made using various stitches to form different shapes. The best part of making scrumbles is that you don't need to know any special or advanced stitches. If you crochet, use your single, half double and double crochet. If you knit, your use knit and purl stitches to get started. If you like, you can learn and add more advanced and unusual stitches later.

from article @ associatedcontent.com


I stumbled across info on scrumbling a few years back but just hadn't gotten around to doing any crocheting. But recently (last weekend) I have decided that I need to get back to crafting. I figured I would start with crocheting since I have been doing it since I was a kid (no need to name years) and it is so portable.
My next thought was "what shall I make?"
I have never really managed to make any large crochet pieces but I thought it would be fun to try out lots of stitches and especially the diffent blocks.
But what to make with them???
Then I found scrumbling again. It seems made to order. Quick, portable and somewhat free spirited. I LOVE the Idea!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment